• Juan Cole explains why the latest developements in Iraq are VERY bad news.
• Jill Quadagno gives a nice simple explanation about why "Health Savings Accounts" will not solve the health care crisis.
• BushCo is hard at work making de-classified documents classified again. We can't tell you what is being re-classified, because that's classified. Actually, one document we find out about is a 1950 CIA assessment that it was unlikely the Chinese government would intervene in Korea. This report was about two weeks before 300,000 Chinese troops crossed the border. Has the CIA ever been right?
• A sad story about a 19 year-old soldier charged with stabbing his wife 71 times while home from Iraq recuperating from wounds he suffered in Mosul. This is a story I fear will be repeated many times in the coming years.
• Libby's trotting out version 1.0 of his expected defense, "I had other things on my mind". Like what? Did you have other CIA agents whose cover you were planning to blow on orders from DICK Cheney?
• 47 workers were murdered in Baghdad bringing the total dead to well over 100 in the last 24 hours since the bombing of a mosque sacred to Shiites early yesterday. But our government assures us that "considerable progress has been made over the last two years toward a multi-confessional and multi-ethnic Iraqi society, and that the Samarra bombing should not tip the country toward civil war."
Tip the country toward a civil war? No. Shove the country off a cliff into civil war? Absolutely.
• In Minnesota, John Kerry shows us he STILL doesn't get it. Yes, there were better choices about the war in Iraq and sadly, you didn't make them then, or in 2004. As long as you insist your vote abdicating your Constitutional power to Bush was correct, you never will make the right choice.
• Stungun maker Taser is working on a nifty new way to kill people. "Taser's eXtended Range Electro-Muscular Projectile, or XREP, is meant to combine the blunt-force trauma of a fast-moving baseball with the electrical current of a stun gun". Because shooting your friends in the face with buckshot isn't nearly as much fun as shooting them in the face with ELECTRIC buckshot.